There is nothing better than the flickering glow of the fireplace on the walls of our homes. During the holidays we can hang stockings, dress the mantel and throughout the rest of the year it can serve as a centerpiece holding photos or a television if large enough.
When getting a gas fireplace however the flickering flames may be a little more dangerous if there is an issue with the unit. To ensure that you are safe with gas here are some tips and tricks that you can follow to ensure that you are safe.
Having gas in our homes may make things run more efficient as well as cut down on electric bills. However there is a hidden danger that everyone who deals with gas needs to know. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. It is an odorless, tasteless gas that when released into the atmosphere begins to consume oxygen. When this process occurs in humans they are unable to breathe and as a result will fall asleep and die.
Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home will be your first line of defense against this killer gas. The next thing you will want to do is make sure that all of your appliance that are run by gas are hooked up correctly, do not have any leaks and are up to date.
Do yearly checks
When working with gas you want to do yearly checks. Make sure that batteries are changed in your detectors, wires and connections are not frayed or coated with rust.
If for any reason you smell any type of gas or if you begin to feel light headed, can’t concentrate or feel ill while running something powered by gas, get out. Get out fast and call 911. Have a professional gas line repair denver service come and make sure that nothing is leaking. Tragedy can strike with a single spark.